Driving your Bentley Continental can become uncomfortable when its AC doesn’t work. Now, you’re sitting in the driver’s seat, wondering why the problem appeared. Also, what can you do to fix it? We researched and consulted with different automotive experts to give you this information.
A Bentley Continental’s AC system might not function properly or at all if it encountered an underlying problem. The possible suspects to this fault often range from a low or dead battery to an AC leak.
So, troubleshoot the cause of the AC’s problem. That way, you can use the appropriate method to fix it.
Keep in mind that the procedure to use to potentially fix your Bentley Continental’s AC typically depends on the results of your troubleshooting. So continue reading as we talk about the possible reasons why the car’s AC isn’t working as intended, along with their potential solutions.
Reasons Why Bentley Continental AC Isn’t Working [And Their Fixes]
Low Or Dead Battery
A car’s battery is generally responsible for providing the necessary power to start the vehicle’s engine. It should also provide sufficient energy to a vehicle’s electrical systems, including the AC, to run optimally.
So, a discharged Bentley Continental battery (or one that’s about to discharge) may not be able to deliver the required energy to turn on the AC. Plus, other electronics in the car may also fail or have trouble functioning efficiently, such as the headlights and the infotainment display.
How To Fix
Replacing the battery may restore the Continental’s AC’s normal functions, along with the car’s other electrical components. Here are the general steps to replace this vehicle’s battery:
What You’ll Need
- Impact wrench
- Socket set
- Extension bar
- Floor jack
- Jack stands
- Wheel chocks
- Turn off the Bentley Continental’s engine and engage its hand or parking brake.
- Open the trunk and remove the panel covering the battery.
- Disconnect the wires securing the module attached to the battery. Detach that module afterward and set it aside.
- Remove the bolts securing the battery. Pull out the old battery afterward.
- Install the new battery in the same location as the old unit.
- Secure the wires and the module you previously removed to the new battery.
- Once secured, turn on the Continental’s engine and AC to check if this procedure solved the problem.
Note: Certain Bentley Continental models, like the GT version, have two batteries. So you may need to replace two batteries in those vehicles instead of one.
Check out this replacement car battery on Amazon.
Watch this video if you need a visual reference for the steps mentioned above:
The compressor is like the heart of a vehicle’s cooling system. As its name implies, its job is to compress the refrigerant and turns it into air that eventually blows into your Continental’s cabin. But compressor failure can also be the reason why your car’s AC isn’t working properly or at all.
How To Fix
Replacing the Bentley Continental’s air AC compressor can provide long-term results as compared to applying temporary fixes to it. Follow these steps to replace this assembly on your Continental:
What You’ll Need
- Car ramps
- Ratchet and socket set
- Wrench set
- Replacement Bentley Continental AC air compressor
- Drive your Bentley Continental onto the car ramps.
- Turn off the vehicle’s engine and AC.
- Wait for the engine to cool and open the hood.
- Disconnect the battery’s negative wire from its terminal.
- Go underneath the vehicle and locate the air compressor (which is typically near the Continental’s rear).
- Remove the bolts securing the air compressor’s cover with the appropriate ratchet and socket.
- Take out the cover and set it aside afterward.
- Remove the wiring fasteners attached to the AC compressor assembly.
- Disconnect the electrical plugs connected to the compressor.
- Carefully detach the five airlines connecting the vehicle to the compressor's valve block.
- Separate the AC system’s rubber hose from the tee coupling attached to the compressor.
- Unscrew the mounting bolts securing the compressor to the car.
- Remove the bad compressor assembly and place the new unit into the same location.
- Place the new compressor on a flat surface (e.g., table) and remove its airline fitting. Discard the fitting afterward.
- Detach the plugs and wiring harness from the new compressor.
- Remove the mounting bracket from the new compressor by unscrewing its bolts.
- Remove the metal shield from the old compressor and transfer it to the new unit.
- Route the new compressor’s wiring harness through its mounting bracket.
- Reinstall the mounting bracket to the new compressor.
- Install the new compressor to the Bentley Continental and reinstall the parts you removed previously (e.g., plugs and wiring fasteners).
- Ignite the car’s engine and turn on the AC to check if installing the new compressor restored the system’s normal functions.
Check out this replacement AC compressor for the Bentley Continental on Amazon.
Watch this video for a visual guide of the steps mentioned above:
Brine, road salt, excessive moisture, and natural wear-and-tear are some of the common culprits for a Bentley Continental’s AC leaking. Refrigerant escaping from the car’s cooling unit may cause the entire system to fail.
How To Fix
Sealing the leak in the Bentley Continental’s AC system may solve the issue. Here are the steps to complete that task:
What You’ll Need
- Automotive AC sealing kit
- Turn off the Continental’s engine and AC system.
- Engage the hand or parking brake and wait for the engine to cool before proceeding to the next step.
- Locate the AC's low-pressure valve under the hood and attach the refrigerant sealing kit to that terminal.
- Turn on the car’s AC (if you can) and set it to its highest setting.
- Allow the sealing solution to circulate in the system for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Turn off the AC again and let it rest for a few minutes.
- Turn the AC once more and check if the system now works properly.
Check out this automotive AC sealing kit on Amazon.
You can also watch the video below for additional insights into using this product:
Also, read our post on how to stop a leak in an AC system to learn more possible solutions for this problem.
How Much To Repair Bentley Continental AC?
Repairing a Bentley Continental’s AC while taking advantage of professional labor potentially cost betwen $122 to $149. The overall costs of the repair service could increase if the expert sees that they need additional parts to recover the cooling unit’s functions.
Also, the price for the technician’s help can vary depending on the shop’s location.
What Are Common Problems With Bentley Continental?
Aside from the AC failing to work, other problems you might encounter with the Bentley Continental are:
Vehicles manufactured by Bentley, including the Continental, use air suspension systems. The typical automotive suspension system uses springs to help stabilize vehicles during bumpy rides. In comparison, an air suspension setup often uses magnetic shock absorbers to create a similar effect.
Take note that fixing an air suspension system generally has different steps than repairing a standard suspension framework. So, maintaining a Bentley Continental’s air suspension setup might even be more challenging than caring for regular suspensions.
Intermittent Brake Light Performance
Some users complain that the brake lights on their Bentley Continental models may not function when needed. Perhaps the best solution to this particular problem is to replace the worn brake lights with new units.
Noisy Power Window
The motors operating the Bentley Continental’s power window may produce unknown noises. If the racket doesn’t affect the windows’ operations, you may only need to deal with the sound without applying repairs. However, replacing the windows’ motors may help eliminate the mysterious sounds.
Like other vehicles, the Bentley Continental could still encounter some problems with its electronics. For example, icons may flash on the dashboard frequently. Another concerning event may include the car's headlights malfunctioning.
Remember, find the reason why your Bentley Continental’s AC isn’t working. The main cause of this problem might come from parts like the car’s battery or air compressor.
Next, use the appropriate DIY solutions to use the right steps based on your findings. Otherwise, you can request help from professional automotive technicians to do the AC repair or replacement job for you.
If you’re looking for answers to other car AC concerns, check out these great posts:
Does Check Engine Light Come On For Air Conditioner?