Vehicles have developed so much throughout the years. Nowadays, all you need to enter or start your car is a remote key. But what do you do if it doesn't get detected by your vehicle? Worry no more! We did in-depth research to help you figure out what could be wrong with your smart key fob and how to fix it.
When your Buick Envision does not detect your remote key, it can be caused by one or more reasons. Here's a list of probable causes why your Buick Envision doesn't detect your remote key.
- The battery inside the remote is already dead
- Your remote is not programmed to your Buick Envision
- The remote itself is broken
- A weak car battery
Now that you have an idea of what could be wrong, we will be discussing each concern and its corresponding solutions. Head on over to the rest of the article.
Reasons Why Your Buick Envision Can't Detect The Remote Key
There are a lot of possible reasons why your Buick Envision can't detect your remote key. You can easily repair some of these issues. But for some, you will need to contact your dealer and have a professional mechanic service your vehicle.
Here are a few of the most common causes of this problem:
Remote Battery Is Dead
A dead remote key battery is one of the most common issues when it comes to your remote key not working. Luckily, you can resolve this issue with just a quick battery replacement.
Buick Envision's remote keys use a CR 2032 battery to power the remote on older models. This type of battery is pretty common and you can purchase this at your local store or on Amazon.
For recent Buick Envision models, however, the remote key uses a CR 2450 battery as a power source. This type of battery is also pretty common and is available everywhere.
How To Replace The Battery On Your Remote Key
The battery replacement of your remote key will depend on your Buick Envision model. Make sure to follow the correct procedure for your model type to reduce the risk of damaging your remote key.
For 2016 to 2020 Buick Envision models with remote key, follow these steps.
- Press the button on the back of the remote key to release the spare mechanical key.
- Separate the two halves of the remote key using the spare mechanical key or any flat tool inserted into the bottom portion of the remote key.
- Once the two halves are separated, locate and remove the battery by sliding it out.
- Insert the new CR 2032 battery with the positive side facing down the back cover.
- Snap the two halves of the remote key to close.
Check out this video tutorial on how to replace the remote key batteries on older Buick envision models.
If you have a much more recent model of the Buick Envision, the remote key will look different from previous models. However, the battery replacement for these remote keys will still be straightforward.
For 2021 and later Buick Envision models with a remote key, follow these steps.
- Press the button on the side of the remote key to release the spare mechanical key.
- Remove the back cover of the remote key by inserting the spare mechanical key or any flat tool into the middle slot at the top portion of the remote.
- When the back cover has been removed, pry the battery out using the spare mechanical key or flat tool.
- Insert the new CR 2032 battery with the positive side facing down.
- Reattach the back cover and return the spare mechanical key.
Check out this video tutorial on how to change the battery on newer Buick models.
How To Program Your Buick Envision Remote Key
An unprogrammed remote key can be another reason why your Buick Envision cannot detect it. This can be a result of the battery replacement of your remote key or simply buying a brand new remote key for your Buick Envision.
Whichever the case may be, this section will provide you with a step-by-step procedure on how to program the remote key to your vehicle.
- Make sure that the vehicle is turned off.
- On the driver's door handle, remove the keycap cover using the spare mechanical key.
- Insert the key into the door handle key slot and turn the key to the unlock position five times. The vehicle's instrument cluster panel will display "Remote Learn Pending, Please Wait".
- After about 10 minutes, the instrument cluster panel will display "Press Engine Start Button To Learn". Press the engine start/stop button and the instrument cluster panel will again display "Remote Learn Pending, Please Wait".
- Place the remote key you wish to program into the remote key slot which is located inside the center armrest storage.
- Press the engine start/stop button. The instrument cluster panel will let you know once the remote key has been programmed.
You may also follow this video tutorial on how to program your remote key.
Please take note, this remote key programming guide only works for 2016 to 2020 Buick Envision models. If your Buick Envision is a recent model, you will be required to contact a qualified professional to program the remote key for you.
Replacing A Broken Remote Key
We use our vehicles almost every single day. This also means that we tinker with the remote key at the same amount of time. Using the remote key regularly can cause knicks and scratches that could lead to issues and, eventually, permanent damage to the remote itself.
The safest and most efficient method when you need a replacement remote key is to order directly from the vehicle manufacturer. This guarantees that the remote key replacement you will receive is of genuine quality and not some cheap knockoff.
You may contact your local Buick dealer for remote key replacements. You may also contact the customer support division of Buick so they can assist you with the replacement.
A Weak Car Battery
Your car's battery provides enough electricity to power up your car. This includes critical engine parts and electronics.
When your car's battery becomes weak, it can cause problems such as preventing your car from cranking up, leaving you stranded. It can also be a reason why your remote key cannot be detected.
Luckily, there is one sure-fire way in which you can diagnose this problem. A battery test. A simple battery check can prevent you from being stranded somewhere and it will also save you costs in the future. This will also help you determine if you need a battery replacement or just a simple engine jump start.
How To Perform A Battery Test
You can test the battery output of your vehicle by using a standard multimeter. This can be purchased from your local auto store or through Amazon.
To perform the battery test, follow these steps.
- Make sure the vehicle is off. Turn on headlights for about two minutes to remove any surface charge that could affect the reading.
- Prepare your multimeter and set it to the nearest unit above 15 volts. Turn off the headlights after two minutes.
- Connect the red rod to the positive lead on your battery (usually red-colored) and the black rod to the negative lead (usually black-colored).
- Wait for the reading. The ideal voltage reading should be around 12 to 13 volts.
How To Get In And Start My Buick Envision If Remote Key Battery Is Dead?
You can't predict when and where your remote key battery will die out. This is an important reason why you need to know how to operate your vehicle even if the remote key is dead. This will get you out of a hairy situation and potentially save you a lot of money in the future.
Follow these steps on how to start your Buick Envision with a low battery or a dead remote key.
- Take out the spare mechanical key located inside your remote.
- On the driver's door handle, remove the key slot cover using the spare mechanical key. There is a slot at the bottom of the key slot cover where you insert the spare mechanical key.
- Once the key slot cover is removed, insert the spare mechanical key into the exposed keyhole and unlock the door.
- When you get inside the vehicle, make sure to close all doors.
- For the 2016 to 2020 models, place the remote key button up in the front cupholder of the center console. For 2021 and later models, place the remote key in the center console bin.
- Press the brake pedal and push the engine start button.
To Wrap It Up
There are several potential reasons why your Buick Envision remote key can't be detected. Hopefully, this post was able to help you assess what is causing the problem and take proper action. Drive safe!
For more articles related to the Buick Envision, check out our other posts: