We may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Bringing a Ford Focus on an RV camping trip can be a great idea. This car can help minimize the hassles related to driving a fairly large RV to different locations. But you may have doubts if it’s even possible to flat-tow a Ford Focus. We researched and consulted with different experts regarding this matter for your convenience.
Ford Focus models with manual transmissions are often easier to flat tow than their automatic counterparts. But it’s still possible to flat-tow a Focus with an automatic transmission, albeit the carmaker often requires vehicle owners to use special features or accessories.
You can consult your vehicle owner’s guide to check if you can flat-tow your specific Ford Focus model. Another option is to contact the carmaker’s customer service center. Continue reading as we tackle this topic in greater detail. Plus, we’ll talk about other related matters, such as how to flat tow this automobile properly and what other Focus cars can be flat towed.
Ford Focus Flat Towing Precautions
Many Ford Focus models with manual transmissions can be flat towed. It’s still possible to tow a Ford Focus with an automatic transmission behind an RV or trailer. However, doing so without the help of special features or equipment can damage the transmission.
Ford Focus owners should refer to the carmaker’s Towing Guide to check if they can flat-tow their specific automobile model. For example, the Ford’s 2017 Towing Guide indicates that you can flat tow a 2017 Ford Focus ST if you have the front-wheel-drive option. However, if you have the rear-wheel or 4-wheel drive options, this automobile doesn’t have built-in parts for an RV or trailer to flat tow it.
On the other hand, you can’t flat tow a 2017 Ford Focus RS if you have the 4-wheel drive version. But you can flat tow a front- and rear-wheel drive Focus RS provided that you have the right accessories like a compatible trailer hitch.
If you want to learn more about the Ford Focus, read through this post: How Much Weight Can A Ford Focus Carry?
How To Tow A Ford Focus
Flat-towing a Ford Focus generally follows similar setup instructions with other vehicles. Take note that you should make sure that you can flat tow your specific Focus model behind an RV. You can take advantage of certain features on specific Focus models to help the flat-towing become more convenient than before.
Some Focus versions, though, might not have these functionalities. If this is the case, you may use a tow dolly for this purpose. Here are the steps to help you tow a front-wheel-drive Ford Focus by using a tow dolly:
- Line the dolly with the Ford Focus while ensuring both are on equal ground.
- Raise the front of the Focus with a car jack.
- Set the car to neutral.
- Place the dolly’s ramps at the front of the car’s wheels.
- Push the vehicle until its front wheels reach the dolly’s lip.
- Secure the wheels in place with the straps that should come with the tow dolly.
Don’t hesitate to use extra steps if necessary. If you feel that the straps you currently own aren’t up to the job, think about replacing them before attempting to flat-tow any vehicle.
You may also take advantage of other towing options to pull a Ford Focus. Some examples include using a car carrier, axle lock, or lube pump.
Additional Points When Flat Towing a Ford Focus
It’s important to follow proper flat-towing protocol when pulling a Ford Focus. Here are some points to think about before attempting to flat-tow this vehicle:
- Don’t go beyond 70 mph. Going too fast increases the risks of you losing control of the car, causing it to skid or sway.
- Always set the transmission to neutral. Refer to your owner’s manual for the steps for your specific Focus model.
- Set the car to ‘Neutral Tow’ mode. Consult the owner’s manual or the carmaker to check if your Ford Focus has this feature. If it has this functionality, refer to a later section to see the steps to activate it.
- Disconnect the negative or black-colored cable from the battery. Doing so will prevent the battery from dying while flat-towing the vehicle.
Where Is The Tow Hook On A Ford Focus?
You can find the tow hook or eye on a Ford Focus in the spare wheel well. You may need to install this part before you can tow the vehicle. But take note that the screw-in hook has a left-hand thread. Therefore, you need to turn it in the counterclockwise direction to install it properly.
What Other Fords Can Be Flat Towed?
Various Ford automobiles can be flat towed. Some of these models include:
- 2019 Ford Fiesta (manual and automatic transmissions)
- 2019 Ford Fusion 2.7L EcoBoost (automatic transmission only)
- 2019 Ford Fusion Hybrid (front-wheel drive only)
- 2019 Ford Explorer (front-wheel drive only)
How To Activate The Ford Neutral Tow Feature?
The Ford Neutral Tow is functionality in specific vehicles that allows the automobiles to be in neutral gear. This feature is also usually available in automobiles with automatic transmissions from this car manufacturer.
Follow these steps to activate this feature:
- Park the car next to the towing vehicle (e.g., RV or camper) and make sure it’s in the forward direction.
- Release the parking brake on the Ford car.
- Set the ignition to accessory mode, which is to turn the ignition on but the engine off.
- Select the Neutral Tow option on the infotainment display at the center console.
- Press the brake pedal when the display prompts for this command.
- Select Neutral on the transmission handle.
- The ‘N’ on the transmission should blink slowly upon successful activation.
What 2021 Cars Can Be Flat Towed?
Many cars in 2021 have the capacity and features to be flat towed by RVs or camper vehicles. Car buyers looking for vehicles that can be flat towed in 2021 may choose from the following vehicles:
- Ford F-150
- Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
- Ram 1500
- Chevrolet Spark
- Chevrolet Colorado
- Fiat 500 Abarth
- Jeep Grand Cherokee
What Is The Most Popular Vehicle To Tow Behind A Motorhome?
RV campers can choose among a myriad of options for their vehicles to tow behind their motorhomes. Some of the most popular options are the following:
- Chevrolet Spark
- Chevrolet Equinox
- Ford Edge ST
- Ford F-150
- Jeep Wrangler
- Jeep Gladiator
- Jeep Grand Cherokee
Different Ford Focus models, particularly those with manual transmissions, often have the capabilities and features to be flat towed. You still have the option to flat-tow a Focus with an automatic transmission, but the automobile might need special features and accessories to pull off this feat.
Ford Focus owners can consult their owner’s manuals to check if they can flat-tow their specific vehicles. If a built-in feature isn’t present, it might be possible to flat-tow the automobile using a dolly. Following this path requires the use of straps to secure the vehicle in place.
Finally, make sure to follow proper flat-towing protocols when pulling your Ford Focus behind an RV or camper. Failure to stick to the safety procedures can lead to costly and serious accidents.
You can also check out our other flat-towing guides for other vehicles in these previous posts: