We may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
If the Chevy Equinox has made your list of potential crossovers, you might be wondering if you can tow with a Chevy Equinox. We took a closer look at the 2019 Chevy Equinox to determine tow-ability.
The towing capacity of the Chevy Equinox depends on the type of engine you choose. Here is the breakdown of the towing capacity for each Chevy engine offered for the 2019 Equinox:
1.5 L Turbo 4-cylinder Engine:
- Torque: 203 pounds-foot @ 2,000 – 4,000 RPM
- Towing Capacity: 1,500 pounds
1.6 L Turbo 4-cylinder Engine:
- Torque: 240 pounds-foot @ 2,000 RPM
- Towing Capacity: 1,500 pounds
2.0 L Turbo 4-cylinder Engine:
- Torque: 260 pounds-foot @ 2,500 – 4,5000 RPM
- Towing Capacity: 3,500 pounds
It seems the Chevy Equinox is a capable towing crossover vehicle. However, there is a lot more to learn about Equinox’s towing features. Keep reading to determine which Equinox trim level and towing package is the best option to haul your gear. With the right combination, the Chevy Equinox can tow wherever you want to go. As a bonus, you can even flat tow this versatile crossover if you are in search of the right RV dinghy.
Can You Tow With A 4-cylinder Equinox?
You can tow with the 4-cylinder Equinox. The standard engine of a Chevy Equinox is a 1.5L Turbocharged DOHC 4-cylinder engine that powers this crossover with 170 horsepower and 203 pounds-foot of torque. With the standard, 4-cylinder engine the Chevy Equinox has a 1,500-pound Max Tow Rating.
To increase the Chevy Equinox’s towing capacity, choose the optional 2.0L Turbocharged DOHC 4-cylinder engine with 250 horsepower and 260 pounds-foot of torque. With the 2.0L 4-cylinder engine, the Chevy Equinox has a 3,500-pound Max Tow Rating.
The Chevy Equinox also has a third engine option. Choose the 1.6L Turbocharged-Diesel DOHC 4-cylinder engine with 137 horsepower and 140 pounds-foot of torque for a Max Tow Rating of 1,500-pounds.
Which Chevy Equinox Trim Levels Are Available With Engine Choices?
If you are choosing the Equinox for towing, it is helpful to know which trim levels are available with engine options. The 2019 Chevy Equinox L and LS trim levels come standard with the 1.5L Turbo 4-cylinder engine. No other engine options are available for the Equinox L or Equinox LS models.
The 2019 Chevy Equinox LT and Premier trim levels come standard with the 1.5L Turbo 4-cylinder engine. Both the Equinox LT and Equinox Premier models offer optional 1.6L Turbo-Diesel 4-cylinder or 2.0L Turbo 4-cylinder engines.
Does a Chevy Equinox Come With A Pre-Installed Hitch?
To fully equip your Chevy Equinox for towing, choose the 2.0L Turbo 4-cylinder engine with Max Tow Rating of 3,500-pounds. Not only does this model come equipped with a factory-installed towing package. It also includes towing safety features such as Trailer Sway Control, Hill Start Assist, and Automatic Vehicle Hold.
How Much Does It Cost To Install A Hitch On An Equinox?
The cost of an aftermarket trailer hitch for a Chevy Equinox can vary greatly, from $120 to $260 depending on the hitch manufacturer and parts dealer. Considering you will also need a wiring harness ($20) and ball mount with pin ($20) to complete your Equinox’s tow package, it pays to shop around at your local auto parts dealers for the best price. You can either purchase separate parts or a kit, including the complete tow package.
Before installation, it is essential to confirm with a reputable mechanic or parts dealer that the hitch is compatible with the Chevy Equinox. Having the hitch installed by a trustworthy mechanic is recommended to ensure the hitch is installed correctly, and the Equinox will be equipped to tow safely.
Can A Chevy Equinox Tow A Pop-Up Camper?
If you have outdoor adventuring in mind, this is one of the many uses of the Chevy Equinox. You will be happy to know that the Equinox is capable of towing most pop-up campers. The unloaded weight of pop-up campers varies dramatically depending on the size of the camper. Small pop-ups can weigh as little as 600-pounds, unloaded. Large pop-ups can weigh as much as 2,500-pounds, discharged.
It is crucial not over to exceed the Equinox’s maximum towing capacity when pairing this crossover with a pop-up camper. Depending on the engine, the Chevy Equinox has a Max Tow Rating of either 1,500-pounds (1.5L Turbo 4-cylinder/1.6L Turbo 4-cylinder) or 3,500-pounds (2.0L Turbo 4-cylinder). When considering a pop-up camper to tow with the Chevy Equinox, try to select from campers that weigh approximately 20% lighter when unloaded than the Equinox’s Max Tow Rating. Starting at a lower, unloaded weight will give you ample room to account for the weight of a fully-loaded camper without exceeding the Equinox’s towing capacity when it comes time to hitch up.
What Are Some Examples Of Pop-Ups That The Chevy Equinox Can Safely Tow?
The Chevy Equinox equipped with either the 1.5L Turbo 4-cylinder or 1.6L Turbo-Diesel 4-cylinder engine can tow small pop-up campers such as the:
The Chevy Equinox equipped with the 2.0L Turbo 4-cylinder engine can tow medium to large pop-up campers such as the:
- Coachmen 9.0TD Clipper Express
- Sylvansport VAST
- Jayco Hummingbird
- Rockwood A122 Hard Side Pop-up Series
- Flagstaff Hard Side T12RB
Is The 2019 Chevy Equinox Flat Towable?
The safest way to transport any vehicle, to avoid unnecessary damage, is to tow the vehicle on a trailer or flat-bed. However, this is not always practical for RV’ers who most frequently flat tow or ‘dinghy’ their recreational vehicles behind motorhomes. It is possible to flat tow or ‘dinghy’ the Chevy Equinox behind your motorhome. We referred to the 2019 Equinox’s online owner’s manual to learn how to flat tow this crossover safely.
Both the front-wheel-drive and the all-wheel-drive Equinox should be flat towed from the front. Hitch-up the Equinox to the motorhome and prepare the crossover for towing by following the start-up procedure.
- Start the engine.
- If AWD engages the all-wheel-drive system by pressing the ‘AWD’ button and checking the driver information display for the indicator light to confirm the AWD system is ON.
- Shift the transmission to neutral (N).
- Engage ‘Service Mode’ by pressing the ENGINE START/STOP button one time without touching the brake pedal. An amber light on the ENGINE START/STOP button will confirm the ‘Service Mode’ is engaged. The chime will ring continuously for 30-minutes. Leave the transmission in neutral (N).
- Switch OFF any accessories such as the radio or interior lights.
- It is required to charge the battery of the Equinox while the crossover is being flat towed.
Upon reaching your destination:
- Set the parking brake.
- Shift the transmission to park (P).
- Switch the ignition key to OFF.
- Start the engine and let it idle for longer than three (3) minutes before driving the Equinox.
Can Flat Towing The Chevy Equinox Damage The Transmission?
Flat towing any vehicle always has the potential to cause transmission damage. You can avoid transmission damage on your Chevy Equinox by following the manufacturer’s recommendations for flat towing. Check your owner’s manual for recommendations specific to your Chevy Equinox. Additionally, you can take the following precautions while flat towing the Chevy Equinox, as recommended by the 2019 Equinox owner’s manual:
- Follow all the steps for the flat towing procedure before and after towing, as provided in the Recreational Vehicle Towing section of the Chevy Equinox owner’s manual.
- Keep the transmission properly lubricated during flat towing by running the Equinox for at least five (5) minutes at the beginning of each day and during each fuel stop.
- Do not flat tow the Equinox if either of the front tires is a different size, such as one tire being a compact spare. Flat towing with varying sizes of a tire can cause severe transmission damage.
- Do not exceed the legal, 65 mph speed limit.
- The use of a shield mounted in front of the Equinox’s grille could limit airflow and cause transmission damage. The Equinox’s warranty will not cover damage caused by a protector. If you prefer to use a shield, only attach the guard to the motorhome.
Choosing comfort for an SUV is important when choosing the right SUV, Check out Which SUV Has The Most Legroom And Headroom? A complete guide all laid out for you!
Now that we know about the Chevy Equinox’s towing capability, your venturing possibilities are limitless. Check out VEHQ to learn even more about towing accessories and RV’ing with crossover vehicles: