The Hyundai Ioniq is an efficient hybrid car that adds a nice touch to Hyundai's sedan lineup. However, like any car, you run the risk of getting a flat tire at some point. So, does the Hyundai Ioniq have a spare tire to help in this situation? Not to worry, because we have found the answer to that question below!
The Hyundai Ioniq doesn't come equipped with a spare tire. So in your trunk, all you will find is a tire mobility kit to help inflate the tire to get you to a local tire shop. However, you can buy a spare tire kit to keep your mind at ease!
The Hyundai Ioniq not having a spare tire can be concerning to some potential buyers. Some may even buy the car, not knowing there isn't a spare until you get in the situation of needing one. In this article, we will take a closer look at what options you have for changing a flat tire on the Hyundai Ioniq, so read on!
Before you continue reading, let us say we hope you find the links here useful. If you purchase something through a link on this page, we may get a commission, so thank you!
Why Doesn't the Hyundai Ioniq Have a Spare Tire?
Hyundai Ioniq might not have a spare tire due to the fact that this car is a hybrid, and having a spare tire could negatively affect your gas mileage. You can keep a spare tire in your trunk without it damaging the car's aerodynamics. However, they do add weight to the car, which can affect the fuel economy.
There are several reasons why you might have a flat tire, and it would be beneficial if the Ioniq had a spare tire in your trunk. However, there is no need to worry because Hyundai has developed a kit for the car to get you by for the time being.
What is a Spare Tire Kit?
A spare tire kit for the Hyundai Ioniq is a set of equipment that allows you to repair a flat tire on your own. This kit has everything you need to change a flat tire, aside from perhaps some bottled water and/or fruit snacks!
Each spare tire kit comes with its own set of tools to help your solve your flat tire problem. For example, each kit will contain a mounted tire, an air pressure gauge, and a tire iron for loosening the lug nuts, and a car jack is also included with most kits.
Many kits will come with an extension piece that attaches to the wrench to give you more leverage when removing stubborn bolts. You may even get a flat tire repair kit or patching material!
How Do you Change a Tire on a Hyundai Ioniq?
You must know how to change a tire on the Hyundai Ioniq before your car's tires need to be changed. The process may seem somewhat complicated at first, but it will become much easier after doing it once or twice.
The spare tire kit should come with an instruction manual for changing a flat tire, so it would be beneficial to read through this manual ahead of time. That way, you can familiarize yourself with what is involved in the process before it becomes necessary for you to change a tire on your Ioniq!
Here are some steps that should help guide you through the process:
Tire Change on a Hyundai Ioniq
- First, park your Hyundai Ioniq on level ground in a safe area, preferably on a flat surface.
- Put your car in park and release the parking brake and turn the engine off.
- Use the car jack that comes with your spare tire kit to lift your Ioniq. This kit may be on or next to the tire iron.
- Put the car jack under the car in position under the frame. Jack it up slowly and make sure there isn't any movement on the jack before removing the tire.
- Once the jack is secured, loosen and remove each of your lug nuts with your tire iron, but do not entirely remove them from their bolts!
- Lift and remove your flat tire and place it somewhere where it won't be in the way or at risk of other damage.
- Put the mounted spare tire on and replace each of the lug nuts with a hand not too tightly! You should still be able to use your tire iron as leverage as you move it along the wheel.
- Use your tire iron to completely tighten the lug nuts and lower the car with your jack.
- Put all tools back into their respective places and review your spare tire kit's owner's manual for any instructions you missed the first time around!
The spare tire will get you by until you can get your factory tire patched or replaced.
While you may not need this kit, it does come in handy! You don't have to worry about being stranded on the side of the road with a flat tire, and you don't have to use up your valuable time waiting for roadside assistance.
How Do you use a Hyundai Tire Mobility Kit?
A tire mobility kit isn't the same as a spare tire kit. The main difference is that the mobility only comes with a compressor to help air up the flat tire to get you to a tire shop. The spare tire kit physically comes with a spare tire that you can put on yourself.
If you have a tire mobility kit then, follow these steps to use a tire mobility kit:
- First, park the car in a safe area and turn it off.
- Next, get out the tire mobility kit and attach the air compressor hose to the tire valve.
- Now, please turn on the compressor and fill the tire to its recommended PSI.
- This may take 5-7 minutes to fill, and when done, disassemble the kit and put the tire valve cap back on.
If you have a nail or another foreign object in the tire, it won't be long before your tire is flat again, so get to a tire shop as soon as possible!
What Size Tire for Hyundai Ioniq?
The Hyundai Ioniq isn't a big car, but it does have a variety of tire sizes depending on the trim model.
Before buying a new set of tires or a spare tire, be sure you get the right tire size for your Hyundai Ioniq specifically. The best thing to do is to look at your current tire on your Ioniq and write down the tire size.
The reason being is that a different tire size won't fit the rim. So the tire size will be on the tire will this form 205/55R16. To help, you can also check out this Hyundai Ioniq tire size guide.
How Often Does Hyundai Recommend Tire Rotation?
Hyundai recommends rotating your vehicle's tires every 5,000 to 7,500 miles. This will also help keep your gas mileage optimal.
You should rotate your tires if you notice any of these signs:
- Unusual vibrations when driving your Hyundai Ioniq
- Your Ioniq pulling to one side or the other when driving
- Uneven wear on all four tires
Can You Buy a Full-Size Tire As a Spare?
You can buy a full-size tire to use as a spare in the case of a flat, no matter if it's a Hyundai Ioniq or another vehicle. However, it will add weight to the back of the vehicle, which will decrease the fuel economy. In addition, you will take up a significant amount of cargo space in the trunk.
Vehicles like the Ioniq already have a small trunk, so if you need to put luggage in there, you may need to take out the spare anyways. However, if you are going on a solo road trip, then it's not a bad idea to have a full-size spare in the case of an emergency.
It can be frustrating to endure a flat tire, only to find out you don't have a spare tire. That's why it is essential to ask a lot of questions before making a vehicle purchase. Sometimes details such as whether or not a vehicle has a spare are translated in the sale of a vehicle.
It is worth getting a spare tire kit if you are set on getting Hyundai Ioniq because sometimes a tire mobility kit won't get you to a tire shop fast enough!
If you like this article, then you should also check out: