The CTEK battery charger is one of the first smart chargers to revolutionize how you can charge your vehicle's battery. You can use it to charge your car or motorcycle battery. If you are wondering how to use it, keep reading. We did research to bring you a step-by-step guide.
Below are the steps on how to charge your car battery using a CTEK battery charger:
- Hook up the CTEK battery charger to the car battery
- Attach the charger's red clamp to your car battery's positive terminal.
- Attach the charger's black clamp to your car battery's negative terminal.
- Plug in the cable and switch on the charger. The green light will turn on.
- Set battery charger to car battery mode
- A yellow light under the car symbol will turn on simultaneously with the green light.
- Press the mode button, and the yellow AGM light will light up—to charge cars with start/stop technology.
- If you press the mode button again, the recondition light will turn on—for reconditioning your battery when it is dead.
- If you press the mode button again, the car battery, AGM, and reconditioning lights will turn on at the same time.
- Set battery charger to motorcycle battery mode
- After all three lights above are lit, press the mode button to light up the motorcycle yellow button.
- Press the mode button again, and the AGM light will come on.
- Press the mode button again, and the reconditioning button will turn on.
- Press the mode button again, and the motorcycle, AGM, and reconditioning lights will be on.
Keep reading to learn how to use the CTEK battery charger to charge your car or motorcycle battery. Included are the benefits of a CTEK charger and how to troubleshoot if it does not charge.
Before you continue reading, let us say we hope you find the links here useful. If you purchase something through a link on this page, we may get a commission, so thank you!
How To Charge Car Battery Using CTEK Battery Charger
The CTEK is a smart battery charger that you can use to charge different types and sizes of batteries. You can charge your car, motorcycle, and lawnmower batteries. All you have to do is set it to charge your type of battery.
To learn how to use a CTEK, follow the step-by-step guide below:
Connect Battery Charger To Car Battery
- Connect the clamps to the battery charger.
- Connect the red clamp of the battery charger to the positive terminal of your car battery.
- Connect the black clamp of the battery charger to the negative terminal of your car battery.
- Plug the power cable into the wall socket and switch it on.
- A green LED light will light up to show that it is receiving electrical power.
Set Charger To Match Your Type Of Battery
By pressing the mode button, you can set your charger to work on a specific type of battery. Set your battery charger as follows:
Car Battery Mode
- When the green light comes on, the yellow LED light automatically turns on. This is the default mode under a car symbol to charge your car battery.
- When you press the mode button, the yellow LED AGM light will come on. This is for charging car batteries that have start/stop technology.
- When you press the mode button again, the recondition yellow LED light will come on. This restores and reconditions your battery.
- If you press the mode button again, the AGM and recondition yellow LED lights will both come on. Both will stay on at the same time. At this point, the car battery, AGM, and recondition yellow LED lights are all lit.
Motorcycle Battery Mode
- If you press the mode button again, the yellow LED light under the motorcycle symbol will light up. This is for charging small batteries like that on your motorcycle.
- With the light under the motorcycle still on, press the mode button again, and the yellow LED light under AGM will light up.
- Press again, and the yellow LED light under the reconditioning button will light up.
- Pressing yet again, the yellow light under the motorcycle, AGM, and reconditioning button will all light up.
- When you press it one more time, it will take you back to the normal mode for car batteries.
Check out this video to see a demonstration of the steps above.
What Are The Benefits Of A CTEK Battery Charger?
If you are curious to know the benefits of a CTEK battery charger, check them out below:
Extends Battery Life
You can use your battery longer. This is because the CTEK battery charger can extend the life of your battery by two to three times its normal life.
Reconditions Your Car Battery
The smart CTEK charger can recondition your car battery if it has a low charge or is dead. As you probably already know, car batteries can be expensive. You can save the one you have by reconditioning it and get several more years from it.
Keep in mind that a battery can only be reconditioned up to 70% of the power of a new battery.
Safe To Use
CTEK battery chargers are safe to use. If you accidentally misconnect the charger clamps to the battery, the charger will warn you. A red light will turn on.
Furthermore, the charger is designed to prevent sparking. This can happen if electronics are on in your car when connecting the charger to the battery. It can also prevent short-circuiting.
CTEK battery chargers are durable and can withstand extreme temperatures as low as -4 degrees to as high as 122 degrees Fahrenheit.
The CTEK charger not only charges your car and motorcycle batteries. You can use it to charge other types and sizes of batteries, such as those in lawnmowers, marine vessels, and agricultural vehicles.
Why Does Your Battery Charger Malfunction?
A battery charger that does not charge your battery is most likely faulty. But, before you buy another one, there are minor issues that you can troubleshoot yourself. Check them out below:
If your battery charger is not working, it could be that the electrical outlet it is connected to is not working. Plug it into a different outlet and check if your charger is working. If it is, then you need to replace the outlet.
But, if your charger still does not work in a different electrical outlet, plug it into another device to check if it works. If it does, then your charger could be the problem.
In this case, you may have to replace your charger, though your dealer can let you know what to do next.
A car battery normally lasts three to five years. After this, it may not have enough power to start your car. So, if you are charging your car battery and it is not charging, your battery could simply be old.
Therefore, it may not be your CTEK charger that's malfunctioned. In this situation, you need to change your battery.
Damaged Battery Charger
If you check your CTEK battery charger and suspect it is damaged, take it back to your dealer. They are in a better position to inspect and diagnose the exact problem.
If you can present proof of purchase and your battery charger is within its warranty period, you can take it back to a CTEK dealer. They may repair or replace it.
By leveraging technology, manufacturers of the CTEK battery charger have changed how you can charge your battery. You only need to set it to charge your type of battery.
With unique inbuilt features such as preventing sparking or short-circuiting, a CTEK charger is safe to use. If you accidentally misconnect your charger and battery, a warning red light will immediately light up.
The charger has this and other great benefits that make it worth your purchase.
Like other appliances, your CTEK battery charger can malfunction. For minor issues, a troubleshooting guide is provided in this post. For bigger problems, take it to your dealer.
If you enjoyed reading this article, here's more from the posts below: