Your car radio serial number is vital for several reasons such as tracking in case it is stolen and knowing what parts to use during repair. But how do you find the serial number? We've researched this question thoroughly. Here's how you can quickly and easily find it.
Here are the different ways you can find your car radio serial number:
- Call your car dealership.
- Search for it on the web page of your car manufacturer or seller.
- Visit an authorized car radio repair center
- Check your car radio's sticker located on the front or back of the unit.
- Read your car's user manual.
In this article, you will learn more information such as the steps to unlock your car radio system and the importance of your car's Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
How To Find Your Car Radio Serial Number
For maintenance purposes such as replacing radio components, a car radio serial number is necessary to get the right parts. Nowadays, there are many ways to search for your car radio serial number.
Here are some methods you can follow:
Contact Your Car Dealership
You can visit or call your car dealership to get your car radio serial number. This is something that every car dealership has on record.
For instance, if you own a Ford vehicle, reach out to Ford's audio service center to get your car radio serial number.
Search The Seller's Web Page
The vast majority of car manufacturers today are engaged with the internet. You can search for your car radio serial number through your car's online website.
Visit An Authorized Car Radio Repair Center
Another way to find the car radio serial number is to refer to a car radio technician. Any car radio expert can easily find the car's serial number. This will also lessen unnecessary errors or damage when dismantling your car radio.
Go to the nearest car radio repair center and let professionals assist you in finding your car radio serial number.
Check The Car Radio Sticker Or Label
Each car radio is imprinted with a sticker or label which includes the car radio serial number information. You can carefully detach and inspect the radio's casing to find your car radio serial number.
Check Your Car User Manual
Your car user manual has all the vital information about your car, such as your car radio's serial number. The easiest way to find your car radio serial number is to check your car user manual.
Can You Display A Car Radio Serial Number On The Radio's Screen?
If you're a Honda owner, you can get your car radio serial number by navigating your car radio's control keys. This procedure will work on most of Honda's recent models.
Here are the steps to do it:
- Switch the ignition key of your car to the on position but don't start the engine.
- Turn on the car radio.
- Tap your car radio's preset keys "1" and "6".
- The 10-digit radio serial number will display on the radio's screen.
Why Is A Car Radio Serial Number Important?
Your car radio serial number is critical for the car and the radio's safety. For instance, if your car or get stolen, with the car radio serial number, you can easily identify your stolen car or the radio itself.
The car radio serial number is necessary during maintenance or replacement. The radio serial number covers the information of its model, production year, and manufacturer's details.
You also cannot get the radio code without providing first the car radio serial number. Unlike the radio serial number, the radio code is critical to operating your radio.
When you need to disconnect your car's battery, the car radio will shut off and set the radio into lock mode. You can only use and operate the radio again after unlocking it.
Remember that there are radio systems that no longer need a serial number or code for resetting. These radio systems are widely common in the following car models:
How Many Digits Does A Car Radio Code Have?
Most leading car producers use a car radio security code besides the radio serial number. A car radio code varies depending on the car brand.
Typically, a Honda has a radio code with four to five numbers. In contrast, Ford only has four-digit radio codes. Meanwhile, BMW radio codes consist of five digits between one to six.
How To Unlock Your Car Radio With A Code
The obvious indication that your car radio needs the security code is when it shows a "CODE" sign. Otherwise, the radio probably does not need a security code to unlock it.
Once you have all the necessary information for unlocking the car radio, you can use the following guide to unlock it in your specific car model:
Honda Radio Unlocking Guide
Below are the steps for unlocking your Honda radio:
- Switch the car ignition key to the on position.
- Ensure that your car radio is on.
- Set the radio into one to four preset settings. As an example, the radio code is 4321.
- Tap the radio's preset button continuously until it displays the first code digit. In this instance, the first digit is "4".
- Repeat this process until you have completely entered the radio code.
- The radio is fully unlocked once it shows a frequency meter and makes a beeping sound after the codes are entered.
You only have three attempts when performing these unlocking steps. Upon entering three consecutive incorrect codes, your radio will shut off. If this happens, you can do these steps again after a few minutes.
For a visual demonstration, here's a video for unlocking your Honda radio system:
Ford Radio Unlocking Guide
The unlocking process of a Ford radio depends on the system it uses, but the process is the same for most Ford radios.
Here are the unlocking steps for most Ford car radio systems:
- Turn on the radio system.
- Tap the first preset key continuously until you reach your desired first digit.
- Repeat the steps for the rest of the Ford radio code.
- If the radio system screen displays a "Store and Unlock" sign, do a long press on the preset key five until it beeps. This means you've successfully unlocked your Ford radio system.
This process limits you to 13 incorrect attempts. The radio system will then go into a locked mode which only an expert can unlock. Thus, be cautious about it to avoid unnecessary costs.
BMW Radio Unlocking Guide
There are two methods to unlock a BMW radio system. Use the radio tuner or volume to select a code and press the home key to enter the next code.
Here is the first method to unlock a BMW's radio system:
- Switch on your BMW's ignition key but do not start the car.
- Switch on the car's radio system.
- Let's say your BMW's radio code is 54321. You'll need to tap the radio five preset key.
- Proceed to the next four preset keys until you completely enter the code.
Here is another method to unlock your BMW's radio system:
- Switch the ignition key to the on position.
- Ensure that the radio is on.
- You can manually press the first preset key five times to set the first preset key to your desired code.
- Do this to the remaining preset keys to enter your code.
Upon entering the last radio code, you should hear a beeping sound. This indicates that you've unlocked the radio system and it is ready for operation.
Here's a visual tutorial for more information:
Do You Need The VIN Number To Find A Car Radio Serial Number?
If you can't find your car radio serial number, you can always call your car manufacturer and ask for it. However, you must have your car's vehicle identification number (VIN) before calling your car's dealer. It is the one requirement for getting the radio serial number from your car's dealer.
The VIN of the vehicle is typically located in your auto insurance policy. Additionally, you can find it on the driver's side door and in front of the dashboard. There are usually 17 characters total, including a digit and capital letters.
You can get your car radio serial number by calling your car dealership, searching for it on the car manufacturer's website, or contacting an authorized car center. However, you can also do it by checking your car radio's sticker or reading the user manual.
If you found this article helpful, check out these related posts: