Disclosure: We may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Sometimes, an RV's accompanying furniture doesn’t have the visual or functional appeal you want. So how can you replace RV furniture with pieces that you prefer? We searched for different ways to substitute furniture for RVs and here’s what we found.
The procedure to remove old RV furniture in exchange for a new piece relies on different factors, such as the type of furniture. For example, the process to replace an RV couch is dissimilar to swapping an RV dinette. RV owners should follow manufacturer guidelines to ensure the proper installation of furniture replacements.
It’s also ideal to buy the correct furniture to avoid encountering issues with their installation procedures. Continue reading as we talk about the replacement processes of different pieces of RV furniture. We’ll also show you a guide on how to find the best RV furniture that fits your preferences and specifications.
How Do You Replace RV Furniture?
Take note that the specific steps to replace RV furniture often depend on the piece being installed. Some of these vehicles may require owners to do extra steps to complete furniture replacement jobs properly.
In this section, you’ll find some relatively general guides on how to swap different RV furniture:
A proper RV couch removal can help you minimize the effort of replacing that piece of furniture. Generally, this task doesn’t require any special tools or skills to complete. Keep reading as we guide you through the correct removal process of your RV’s built-in couch:
What You’ll Need
- Socket wrench
- Unscrew the bolts under the couch securing it to the vehicle’s floor.
- Take off the underside of the sofa and set it aside.
- Use the socket wrench to remove the bolts and nuts connected to the top and/or rear side of the couch.
- Unscrew the couch’s wooden frame and the sliding mechanism if you have a jackknife couch.
- Install the new furniture to the location of the old RV couch. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines to avoid costly mistakes.
You can also watch the video below to see a visual representation of the steps mentioned above.
As mentioned previously, it’s important to check your vehicle owner’s manual before proceeding with relatively any RV furniture removal job, particularly when swapping out its bed. It’s because some RVs have the typical beds installed by the manufacturer, while other models might have sofa beds.
In the following guide, you’ll learn how to remove and replace an old RV sofa bed with a new model:
What You’ll Need
- Phillips screwdriver
- Open-end wrenches
- Socket wrenches
- Remove the bolts and screws that are securing the old RV bed to the vehicle’s floor.
- Disassemble the rest of the parts using the screwdriver and the appropriate wrenches.
- Set aside the pieces you took apart in storage. Otherwise, prepare those items for proper disposal.
- Set the new bed in place and secure it to the RV while following the manufacturer’s instructions.
Watch the video below to learn additional details about this task. The people in the video will also guide you on how to practice proper RV bed replacement safety to prevent potential accidents.
If you haven’t bought a replacement RV dinette yet, make sure to measure the existing set in the vehicle. That way, you can purchase a new dinette set with roughly similar dimensions as the previous model. Otherwise, the dinette won’t fit properly, which can promote issues.
Assuming that you now have your new RV dinette set, follow these general guidelines to complete this furniture replacement job:
What You’ll Need
- Wrench set
- Staple remover
- Screwdrivers (Phillips and flathead variants)
- Take out the cushions on the dinette, if any. You may need to unscrew these parts.
- Use a scraper tool or a flathead screwdriver to remove wooden parts glued to surfaces if necessary.
- With the staple remover, take out the staples fastening some of the wooden pieces.
- Carefully remove the rest of the dinette and set it aside for storage or disposal.
- Install the new RV dinette based on the manufacturer’s instructions.
Watch the video below to see an RV dinette removal in action:
Don’t forget to read our post on how to replace an RV dinette to gain additional insight into completing this task with minimal risk of error.
Keep in mind that some RV recliners don’t use fasteners. If you have one of these models, you may only need to lift and carry the unit to a storage space or a trailer for disposal.
On the other hand, certain recliners for motorhomes may demand extra removal steps. If so, the following guide will help you remove and replace these units from your RV:
What You’ll Need
- Socket wrench
- Remove the bolts securing the recliner to the RV’s floor.
- Loosen the seatbelts.
- Remove the nut, washer, and bolt securing the bottom plate to the RV. Then, take out the plate as well.
- Install the new RV recliner while following the manufacturer’s instructions.
Watch the video below if you need a visual guide for this process:
Also, you can watch this video to help you with the RV recliner installation procedure:
Which Is The Best RV Furniture To Buy?
It’s important to note that there’s not a universal rule wherein one piece of RV furniture provides the most advantages to every rig user. Thinking about different yet essential factors can help you in finalizing your purchasing decision and getting the most value out of the product.
Here are some factors that you need to think about as you shop for your ideal RV furniture:
Take a look at your RV’s floor plan, particularly the location of the furniture that you want to replace. Take note of those size requirements when purchasing new furniture to prevent sizing issues.
It might be a good choice to select RV furniture that won’t compromise the vehicle's balance. Check your RV’s gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) in this regard. That number should help you choose furniture that won’t exceed your rig’s maximum weight limit.
Durability and Quality
RV owners should select quality furniture for their vehicles. Although it might be tempting to buy inexpensive furniture, some of these models typically don’t last long. For example, a low-quality RV theater seat may only last about three years. Some inexpensive upholstering might even encounter damage after one week of use.
Pick furniture for your rig that aligns with the interior or exterior décor. Selecting a bed or couch that doesn't complement the RV's design theme may stick out like a sore thumb.
At this point, you might be ready to look at some potential candidates to replace some of RV’s furniture. If so, we have a post that may help lead you to reliable online retailers.
How Do You Bolt Down RV Furniture?
Rig owners can take advantage of permanent or temporary solutions to secure the furniture in their vehicles. Permanently bolting down furniture can be a good option for items like beds and sofas. On the other hand, temporary securing techniques might be ideal for objects like dining chairs or side tables.
One example of a permanent way to secure RV furniture is to use the included hardware. Some pieces of furniture for rigs, such as jackknife couches, have bolts and screws that bolt them to these vehicles’ surfaces. In contrast, fasteners like Velcro straps and zip ties are available for securing objects temporarily.
Is It Cheaper To Reupholster Or Buy New RV Furniture?
The answer to this question depends on the current condition of the old and/or damaged RV furniture. Sometimes it can be less expensive to buy and install new furniture for your rig as opposed to repairing them.
Ask yourself the following questions to help you decide which course of action is best for your current situation:
- What’s your budget?
- Can you handle the repair or replacement job by yourself or do you need professional help?
- Will the new furniture require modifications to the space?
Replacing RV furniture generally requires rig owners to practice proper removal and installation methods. Sticking to the furniture manufacturer’s instructions can help reduce the risks of possible mistakes in the replacement process. Also, make sure to buy furniture while thinking about certain factors to gain the most value out of those items.