Ford Sync (also SYNC) is a built-in vehicle communications and infotainment system from this American carmaker. But sometimes it can run into some problems, and resetting it may help restore its functions. But how can you reset a Ford Sync? We researched the solution for you and here’s what we found.
Ford vehicle owners can either do a soft, hard, or master reset on their vehicles to help solve issues on their Sync systems. Keep in mind that the resetting procedure to use often depends on the seriousness of the problem. For instance, hold the volume and skip track buttons on the dashboard for about 5 seconds to perform a soft reset, which should solve issues like screen freezes.
However, severe problems, such as the screen failing to respond after doing a soft reset, might necessitate a hard or master reset. Find out how to do these other Ford Sync resetting methods as you continue reading this post.
What Are The Common Problems Of Ford Sync?
The Ford Sync system might encounter certain problems wherein resetting it can restore its serviceability. Some of these issues are:
- Unknown background noise (e.g., static) during phone calls.
- Unstable call connections.
- Ford Sync failed to connect to the mobile app.
- Unable to look at messages on the infotainment display.
- The car module can’t read the text messages aloud.
Take note that some of these problems may not require resetting the Ford Sync system. For example, switching the smartphone off and on again can restore the faulty connection. Still, resetting it might remove many underlying issues.
How Do I Soft Reset Ford Sync?
Keep in mind that performing a soft reset on the Ford Sync will only reset the system. No loss of data or settings will occur. Think of this process as a quick reboot that may help fix some issues, such as a frozen infotainment display.
Perform a Ford Sync soft reset by pressing the volume and skip track buttons on the media control of your Ford’s dashboard at the same time. Then, wait for about 5 seconds or until the screen shuts off.
If done correctly, the Ford symbol should appear after a few more seconds. Also, the touchscreen display should behave normally after this procedure.
You can also watch the video below to see this process in action:
How To Hard Reset Ford Sync?
Hard resetting a Ford Sync is quite similar to soft resetting the system in the sense that both operations will experience no loss of data or user-preferred settings. However, the difference is that a hard reset is an abrupt reboot as compared to the graceful restart of the soft reset.
This hard reboot may help shock the system, helping it to recover from certain errors. Also, this operation can be an ideal option if soft resetting didn’t solve the problem you’re experiencing with the system.
Perform a hard reset on a Ford Sync by following these steps:
- Turn off the engine on the vehicle.
- Disconnect the vehicle’s battery and wait for about 30 seconds.
- Reconnect the battery after that period.
- Start the engine and wait for the system to reboot.
If the Ford Sync system still doesn’t work after performing a hard reset, the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) might be going bad. If so, prepare to spend about $700 to $900 for the replacement. That overhead should already include parts replacement and professional labor.
Check out this replacement Ford Sync 3 module on Amazon.
How To Do A Master Reset On Ford Sync?
If soft and hard resetting don't work to restore proper functionality to your Ford Sync, performing a master reset on the system may solve its issues. But doing so will delete all user-saved data and settings. So only do this procedure if you're resolute on the idea that you're going to restore this system to its factory default settings.
Some of the things that you’ll lose from your Ford Sync system after performing a master reset are:
- Paired Bluetooth devices
- Contact lists
- Navigation information
- Saved radio stations
After taking note of those considerations, and you still want to proceed with this task, here are the steps to do it:
- Set the vehicle in park but don’t turn off the engine.
- Press the settings at the bottom right-hand corner of the infotainment display.
- Tap the General icon and scroll down until you see the Master Reset menu item.
- Press the Master Reset button, then press ‘Continue’ to confirm the selection.
- The display will turn black and should reset after a few seconds.
Watch the video below if you need a visual representation of the steps mentioned above:
How Do I Get My Ford Sync To Work?
You need to connect a compatible mobile device to the Ford Sync system for it to work. Keep in mind that only Ford vehicles from 2017 and beyond have Apple CarPlay, allowing Apple devices to be compatible with the Sync 3 system. Still, many Ford Sync systems should be compatible with Android Auto.
After ensuring that your phone is compatible with your Ford’s Sync system, here are the steps to make the connection work:
- Turn on Bluetooth on your mobile device. The Ford infotainment display should locate the device to pair and show it on the screen.
- On the Sync display, press the phone icon beside the device to pair.
- Press ‘OK’ to confirm the selection, then tap ‘Add a Device’ and confirm it to form the wireless connection. The display should show a prompt that it’s attempting to sync with the mobile device.
- If needed, type the 6-digit pin provided by the Sync system on your phone.
- A confirmation message should appear on both the cell phone and Sync screens that tell you that the pairing is a success.
Once paired, you can now use compatible apps on your smartphone on the Sync screen. But you might need to create a Ford Sync account if it seems that you can’t take full advantage of the system’s features.
How Do I Set Up A Ford Sync Account?
Registering for a Sync account should allow you to enjoy many remote features on your Ford vehicle. Follow these steps to create your Sync My Ride account:
- Download and install the ‘Ford Sync Destinations’ app on a compatible smartphone.
- Use a web browser and access Ford’s Sync My Ride website.
- Once registered, click or tap on the ‘Hello, <your name>’ link.
- Choose Settings, then navigate to the ‘Vehicles & SYNC’ tab.
- Under the ‘Vehicle & SYNC’ tab, find ‘SYNC Mobile Settings,’ then choose ‘Add a Number.’
- Enter the phone number in the appropriate field. You may also choose to give the registered phone number a nickname.
What Does Ford Sync Include?
The Ford Sync system offers many remote features for its users, including (but aren’t limited to):
- Hands-free calls
- Voice-activated navigation
- Voice commands with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Wireless multimedia control
- Remote start
Take note that Ford Sync requires users to pay $80 per year for them to take advantage of all of its features. But the carmaker offers some features, such as the built-in navigation and Wi-Fi hotspot, with a free trial.
What Apps Are Supported By Ford Sync?
Bear in mind that not every Android or Apple app is compatible with Ford Sync. But many mobile apps can work with Ford’s infotainment system, including:
- Waze Navigation
- Pandora Radio
Do All Fords Have Sync 3?
The Ford Sync 3 is available on different vehicles from the American automobile maker. Some examples are:
- 2021 EcoSport
- 2021 Bronco Sport
- 2021 Expedition
- 2021 Explorer
- 2021 Mustang
- 2022 Transit
If you’re unsure which Ford Sync version your vehicle has, go to Ford’s Sync page and use its vehicle VIN lookup tool. Search for your Ford vehicle, and it should tell you different pieces of information, which should include your car’s Sync version.
Ford vehicle owners may want to start with a soft reset to solve certain relatively common issues with their cars’ Sync systems. If that doesn’t work, opting for a hard or master reset may help restore the infotainment display’s proper functionality. However, be wary as doing a master reset will revert the system to its factory default settings, deleting any saved user content.
If you like this post and would like to know more about Ford vehicles, check out these related reads:
How To Disable Engine Idle Shutdown In A Ford?
How To Unlock Ford Fusion With Keys Locked Inside?