Smart key fobs are a thing right now on the automotive market. The latest version of the Hyundai Elantras come equipped with the smart key fob feature. But what would you do if you didn't have the smart key fob? For this post, we will be helping you start your Hyundai Elantra without the smart key fob.
Here are two options to start your Hyundai Elantra without a smart key fob
- Via Remote Start through the smartphone app.
- If your smart key fob has a dead battery, you can still use it to start your car.
Since newer models of Hyundai Elantra only offer a push-start ignition button, you are limited to these two options at the moment.
These are the two main options we found to get your Hyundai Elantra running without a smart key fob. Don't worry; we will be discussing a few alternatives to help you out with getting your Hyundai Elantra up and running.
Via Remote Start Through The Smartphone App
Almost every new product released on the market now works with a smartphone to some degree. From lights to opening your front gate, technology has come a long way into integrating your very own smartphone as a standard part of your life. Recently, Hyundai released their recent line of 2021 Elantra with a feature called Digital Key.
Starting the Hyundai Elantra with your Android Phone
Hyundai's Digital Key feature allows your smartphone to unlock the doors and start the engine remotely. It uses Hyundai Digital Key's smartphone application. However, this is only available through specific Android devices. This feature is achievable through NFC. Here are the steps to create your own unique Digital Key.
- Download the Hyundai Digital Key application from either the Google Play Store or the Apple Store.
- Open the Hyundai Digital Key application, follow the on-screen instructions and create an account.
- Log in to your MyHyundai Account.
- Get inside the vehicle and make sure your smart key fob is within proximity.
- Turn on the engine.
- On the Digital Key application, select your Hyundai Elantra.
- Once you've selected your car, activate the save mode.
- Place your smartphone face-up on the wireless charging pad.
- For vehicles without a navigation menu, press the menu button on the steering wheel.
- Go to User Settings > Digital Keys > Smartphone Keys > Select Save
- For Vehicles with a navigation menu, press Setup > Vehicle > Digital Key > Smart Phone Key > Save
Check out this useful video to serve as your guide for this setup.
An Alternative Solution for IOS Devices
We have an alternative solution for IOS users: the MyHyundai with Blue Link application. The MyHyundai application has an available version for Android phones as well. Here's how to link your IOS device to your Hyundai Elantra.
- You need to ensure that your Hyundai Elantra already has your own MyHyundai account logged in would be best.
- Download the MyHyundai application on your IOS phone.
- Open the application
- Using the same account as the one in your vehicle, log in to the application.
- You should be able to see your vehicle inside the application automatically.
- You can now start the engine using the MyHyundai Application from your IOS device.
Now, you're linked in with your car. You can now use it to open the doors and even your trunk! There are other great features for this application, such as seeing your fuel levels and checking the status of your entire Hyundai Elantra. A tremendous and feature-rich application indeed!
Here's an official video tutorial to help you with setting up the application.
Using a Battery-Drained Smart Key Fob of Hyundai Elantra
Battery-drained key fobs are common problems since you lose access to the seamless experience of unlocking and starting your car. Not to worry, most of the key fobs are still useful even though they already had their battery drained. The smart key fob of the Hyundai Elantra luckily has this feature.
Getting inside the Vehicle
The main problem we first encounter is getting the door open first. Luckily, you can get the door open with a mechanical key. Here are the steps on how to open your Hyundai Elantra door with a mechanical key from your smart key fob:
- First, you need to push the button at the backside of the smart key fob.
- While pressing the eject button, carefully pull out the mechanical key from the smart key fob.
- Open the door handle on the driver's side and push the mechanical key into the hole at the bottom end of the handle.
- Carefully remove the plate covering of the door handle.
- Once done with removing the plate, there is now a keyhole that you can see right through the door handle.
- Slide the mechanical key into the keyhole and turn it clockwise to unlock your door.
For a more comprehensive guide, check this video out.
Starting the Engine with a Dead Smart Key Fob
Now that you're in the driver's seat, it's time to get that engine revving and drive away, right? Well, there are still a few extra steps that you need to make to start the engine. Here's how to start your engine with a dead smart key fob:
- Keep your foot on the brake pedal
- Start by slowly depressing the brake pedal.
- Use the smart key fob itself to press the "Start Engine" button
- Your engine should be running now.
This method works because the smart key fob contains a chip inside that doesn't require any batteries to run. It is a neat feature since you'll be able to start the Hyundai Elantra engine even with a dead smart key fob.
Here's a video adequately demonstrating this method.
How to Replace The Battery of A Hyundai Elantra Smart Key Fob?
You might be wondering, how would you replace the battery to use a smart key fob again for your Hyundai Elantra? It's relatively straightforward, but we'll provide a detailed guide on doing this.
- Press the eject button and simultaneously pull out the mechanical key.
- Insert the mechanical key perpendicular to the key slot; it should be 90 degrees from its key slot.
- Lightly pry off the back cover of the key fob.
- Carefully remove the circuit board from the key fob.
- You should be able to see the location of the battery on the front cover.
- Replace the battery.
For the battery replacement, the Hyundai Elantra's smart key fob uses a 2032 lithium-ion battery. So here's a recommendation from us if you need a spare battery for your smart key fob.
Check out this 2032 Lithium-Ion Battery from Amazon.
To better explain this step-by-step process, here's a video demonstration of the battery replacement of the Hyundai Elantra smart key fob.
What Should I Do If I Lost My Hyundai Elantra Smart Key Fob?
The last resort that we could recommend would be to your local Hyundai dealer so that they can replace your lost smart key fob. They can help you unlink your lost smart key fob and give you a new one to use. This solution does come with a hefty price tag, and usually, it costs between $300-$600, on average.
This option is the most expensive option, but at least you'll be able to sleep soundly without having to worry about someone stealing your car. This method is efficient, and security-wise, this is the best option if you lose your smart key fob.
How Do I Keep My Smart Key Fob Safe?
Losing your smart key fob is a problem that is a pain in the neck and for your wallet. The best way to prevent that problem is by preventing it from happening in the first place. From Bluetooth trackers to key cabinets and keychains, here are a few product recommendations to keep your smart key fob safe and secure.
Tile Bluetooth Tracker
Use this to track your keys if ever you lose them. Check out the Tile Bluetooth Tracker on Amazon.
This can keep your keys organized an secure. Check out this Key Cabinet on Amazon.
Glow in the dark keychain
This can help keep track of your keys in the dark, or if you've dropped them in a shady spot. Check this Glow in The Dark Keychain
It's annoying whenever we lose an essential item, especially our car keys. We hope that some of these processes and options helped you get your Hyundai Elantra up and running. We have other articles about other models of vehicles with the same problem. Check them out here!
- How To Start Honda Fit Without Smart Key
- How To Start A Nissan Rogue With Manual Key
- How To Remote Start A Kia Soul