Do you have a Ford F-150, an F-250, or an F-350, and would like to know how to use the remote start feature? You’ve come to the right place, for we have researched this question, and we have the answer for you.
The remote start feature is built into some of Ford’s Super Duty trucks through the key fob. Follow the steps below to use the remote start feature on your Ford Super Duty truck:
- If you’re using the remote start feature for the first time, it is best to try it while you’re standing close to your Ford truck. This will allow you to make sure that it works.
- Locate the lock button on your key fob and press it once.
- Look for the circular button that has a printed “2X” on it. Press this button twice right after you press the lock button. You should see the headlights blink twice. This indicates that your Ford truck acknowledges the signal to start it remotely. Your Ford truck will start itself after the headlights blink.
If your Ford Super Duty truck—or any other Ford vehicle—doesn’t have the remote start pre-installed, you can have one installed yourself. Learn how in the succeeding sections. Read on!
Before you continue reading, let us say we hope you find the links here useful. If you purchase something through a link on this page, we may get a commission, so thank you!
Using Remote Start On Your Ford Truck
Ford’s Remote Start system is a great way to start your Ford Super Duty truck before you even get into your truck.
If your Ford truck is equipped with climate control, remote starting your truck will allow your climate control system to activate relevant modules. If it’s winter, your heated seats, defrost, and steering wheel will turn on. During summer, cooled seats, cooled steering wheel, and the air conditioning system will turn on to make the inside of your truck comfortable once you get in.
If you want to cancel Remote Start, you can simply press the circular button with a printed “2X” on it once more.
How do I know if my F-350 has a remote start?
Your key fob will have the remote start button (the circular button with a printed “2X” at the center) if your F-350 has the remote start feature.
This also applies to other Ford Super Duty trucks.
What is the FordPass Remote Start feature?
Google, Amazon, and Apple are making smart apps to make different appliances work together and smarter. These companies' apps are allowing vehicle manufacturers like Ford to extend the vehicle experience beyond the vehicle.
The FordPass Connect feature allows Ford owners to do the following remotely:
- Start/stop their Ford vehicle
- Lock/unlock their Ford vehicle
- Access the location of their Ford vehicle
- Know the distance before their fuel tank becomes empty
- View the tire pressure of their vehicle
To use the FordPass Remote Start feature, your Ford vehicle must first satisfy the following prerequisites:
Ford Vehicle Must Have FordPass Connect
The SYNC/FordPass Connect is a type of modem that must be installed in your Ford vehicle. It allows your Ford vehicle to connect to your phone.
Must Add Ford Vehicle To App's “Home” Tab
You will then need to download and install the FordPass app on your smartphone. This is available from the Apple App Store or from Google Play. Accept the terms and conditions before installation.
Ford Owner Account
Log in with your Ford Owner Account after you install the FordPass app on your phone. If you don’t have a Ford Owner Account yet, you can create an account through the FordPass app.
Adding Your Car To The FordPass App
After installing the FordPass app on your phone and logging in to your FordPass app using your Ford Owner Account, the app will allow you to add any of your Ford vehicles equipped with FordPass.
Press “Add” at the screen where the FordPass app asks you to add your Ford vehicle. This will automatically add your FordPass-enabled vehicle, and it will appear on the Home screen.
If you want to add another Ford vehicle, tap the “Add Vehicle” tab on the Home screen. You will receive a screen where you can enter the VIN of your Ford vehicle. Alternatively, you can tap the camera icon to scan the VIN bar code of your new vehicle. The VIN bar code can be found on a sticker on the driver-side door.
The app will notify you that your Ford vehicle was found and will prompt you to name your vehicle.
Complete Ford Vehicle Activation
Once you complete the process of adding your Ford vehicle to the FordPass app, the app will prompt you to activate your vehicle.
- Tap on the “Activate Vehicle” button.
- Start your vehicle.
- Wait for a few minutes inside your vehicle. A prompt will appear on the in-vehicle display. The prompt will request your approval to activate the vehicle.
- Accept the activation request on the in-vehicle display. This will complete activation and will give you access to all FordPass features through your smartphone, including FordPass Remote Start.
Is my Ford Vehicle equipped with FordPass Connect?
FordPass Connect was first launched in select Ford vehicles in 2018. Your Ford vehicle will have a FordPass Connect sticker if it has FordPass Connect.
Additionally, you can check the Settings if your vehicle has FordPass Connect. Select “Vehicle” while under Settings.
You will see “Onboard Modem Serial Number (ESN)” if your Ford vehicle has the FordPass modem but is not activated. Once you activate FordPass connect using the steps above, you will see a tile that says “FordPass Connect” under Settings.
How do I remote start using the app?
With FordPass, you have two options to remote start your Ford truck. You can use the remote start feature from the key fob, or you can remote start your truck from the FordPass app.
Keep in mind that before you can remote start your Ford vehicle using the FordPass app, you must first complete the activation steps above. If you did not press the “Accept” button during the activation, you need to start all over to activate it.
To remote start your Ford truck from the FordPass app, follow the simple steps below:
- Open the FordPass app on your smartphone.
- Navigate to the Home page of the app if it doesn’t automatically take you there.
- If you have multiple vehicles registered on your FordPass app, select the vehicle that you would like to remote start.
- Press and hold the circular start button in the middle of the app until the white bar starts traveling the perimeter of the button. The button will turn into a checkmark to let you know that the remote start procedure is complete.
How to install remote start on my Ford Super Duty truck?
The easiest way to install a remote start on your Ford Super Duty truck is by going to the dealer and having them install the remote start feature on your Ford truck. Alternatively, you can install the remote start feature yourself by following the simple steps below.
You can get the remote start for the model of your Ford Super Duty truck from Ford or Amazon. Alternatively, you can get an aftermarket version. They are installed the same way.
- Park your Ford truck on a level surface and turn off the engine.
- Look for the diagnostic port or socket under the dashboard. This is also below the steering wheel. The socket looks like an old printer port. Once you find the port, reach behind the port, and you will find a cluster of wires coming out of the port. Disconnect this cluster of wires by pressing on the clip lock to unlock it from the port.
- Take the T-harness bypass wire from the remote start package. It has two ports that look like the wire cluster plug that you disconnected and a female version of that cluster plug. Connect the T-harness bypass wire to the back of the diagnostic port. Make sure to insert it firmly into the port.
- Connect the wire cluster plug that you disconnected to the female end of the T-harness bypass wire that you connected to the back of the diagnostic port.
- Get the 4-pin data plug (without the lock) end of the T-harness bypass wire. Press and hold the program button on the remote start box. Get the 4-pin plug and connect it to the black port on the remote start box. Once you connect this plug, the three LED lights will light up and cycle through three colors. Wait until all LED lights turn blue and let go of the program button. If you missed the LED lights turning blue, just wait for it to cycle once more to three blue LEDs.
- Connect the white Y-plug to the white port on the remote start box.
- Start your truck.
- The LED will start blinking after you start your truck. Wait for 10 to 15 seconds. Turn off your truck. Remote start is installed.
- Use zip ties to secure the wires and the remote start box under the dashboard.
There are two ways that you can remote start your Ford truck. If your Ford truck doesn’t have a remote start, you can install the module on your truck.
If you enjoyed reading this article, you might find the articles below equally interesting: