Which are the best campgrounds in and around Atlanta? What amenities and services do they offer? Our team member Cynthia has lived in the area for 11 years and has done the research to bring you a list of awesome RV campgrounds in and around Atlanta, Ga.
Here are some great campgrounds around Atlanta (Including Distance From the City Center).
- Sweet Water Creek RV Reserve (37 minutes)
- Atlanta Marietta Resort RV Park (36 minutes)
- Stone Mountain Camp Ground (41 Minutes)
- Atlanta South Resort RV Park (44 Minutes)
- Stone Mountian Heights RV Park (46 minutes)
- Jones RV Park (56 minutes)
- Mckinney Campground (1 Hour 9 minutes)
I know, I know it looks like I just gave you a list of all the local campgrounds in the Atlanta area. Because well, I did. The reason being that only the person camping should choose the campground. The best way for you to decide is for me to give you the full list and let the RV'er decide. To learn more about each campground, its reviews and amenities read on.
- Why you should stay outside the City Center
- Sweetwater Creek RV Reserve
- Atlanta Marrietta Resort RV Park
- Stone Mountain Campground
- Atlanta South RV Resort
- Stone Mountian Heights RV Park
- Jones RV Park
- Mckinney Campground
- A Few Other Notes
- RV Campgrounds Reviews
- Have A Great Trip
Why you should stay outside the City Center
Atlanta is a huge city with an expansive metropolitan area that's home to nearly 6 million people. The capital of Georgia itself (aka the city center) sprawls across a whopping 134 square miles (or 347 square kilometers). Like every large city in America, driving in downtown Atlanta can be difficult, especially during rush hour. Most RV'ers would prefer to avoid getting a large rig into that area and that's why there are no recreational RV campgrounds within the city itself.
This is why campgrounds around Atlanta are the more viable solution. You can leave your home-on-wheels there, and use your tow vehicle or "toad" to go visit the many sights the city has to offer. Or you could use public transportation if you don't have a detachable car. If you're going to rely on public transportation, we suggest calling the campground ahead of time and asking about shuttles and/or proximity to public transportation routes too.
Before you continue reading, let us say we hope you find the links here useful. If you purchase something through a link on this page, we may get a commission, so thank you!
And now, let's look at the campgrounds themselves -
Sweetwater Creek RV Reserve
Happily, this RV campground has a 4.1-star rating on google. The Google reviews indicate very welcoming hosts and an overall nice clean, quiet RV park, near Six Flags, and Atlanta.
Amenities At Sweetwater Creek RV Reserve
- Recreation area across the street in the form of a public park
- Park is tucked away for comfort and safety
- Laundry and Lounge area so you can work while you do laundry
- Each site offers full utilities
- Outdoor common patio area for guest to mingle and enjoy the outdoors
Rates for Sweetwater Creek RV Reserve
Rates start at $60 a night for up to 4 guests, with options to pay weekly or monthly as well.
Atlanta Marrietta Resort RV Park
This park has a 3.3-star rating on Google. Some reviewers mentioned that the pool was crystal clear yet showed age. Others said that this is the best RV park for experiencing a Braves game. More Google reviews here.
- Water hook up, 50, 30, and 20 amp electric hook up, and sewer hookups at each site.
- Free Wireless Internet and cable TV
- Paved Roads
- Paved sites with Patio
- Shower Suites
- Coin Laundry Services
- LP-Gas service
- Seasonal Swimming Pool
- Pets Allowed- on leash
Rates at Atlanta Marrieta Resort RV Park
Prices at this RV campground start at $54 a night and include weekly and monthly options.
Stone Mountain Campground
Stone Mountain Campground located in Stone Mountain Georgia has 617 reviews on Google with a 4.4-star rating. The reports state that the staff is lovely, you can bring pets (just not on your hike up the mountain), restrooms are well maintained. That is just a small sample of the good reviews.
The campground is just minutes from park attractions like Summit Skyride, Scenic Railroad, Skyhike Adventures ropes course. Guests of the campsite can purchase an exclusive pass to all the attractions with a second day free.
Stone Mountain Campground Amenities
- Comfort measures include restrooms, showers, washers, and dryers available to campers
- Free Wi-Fi is available at specific spots using a color-coding system. All RV sites with red, orange, purple, lime and blue have Wi-fi
- Free Cable TV hook up is available at all purple, orange, lime and red RV Sites
- Grills picnic tables and fire rings are available at every campsite
- Dump Station allowing campers to keep the park clean for neighboring sites
- General Store with groceries, firewood, LP gas, live bait, and more
- Police, Fire, and EMS all work together with the Stone Mountian Park department to keep the park and its visitors safe
- Seasonal pool open for campground guests to use
- Sand Volleyball court, Horseshoe court, and children's playground
Starting Rates For Stone Mountain campsites
The price range for tent camping is $26 to $31 per night, and you can reserve a lakeside campsite if available.
The price range for RV camping is $41 to $65 per night, depending on which site you choose.
Atlanta South RV Resort
A decent 3.9-star rating for this RV resort. Google reviews include statements such as:
I like this place and its setting surrounded by trees, amiable place staff was courteous,
Enjoyable, off the beaten path place, courteous staff and pet-friendly.
Amenities At Atlanta South RV Resort
- Water, sewer, and electric at all sites
- Dump Station
- LP Service
- 80 pull-through sites
- Restrooms, laundry, and showers
- Cable TV and Internet Access
Rates At Atlanta South RV Resort
Rates at this RV Resort start at $42 for two adults, with increases per person. The resort also includes weekly and monthly rates.
Stone Mountian Heights RV Park
I know its confusing, Stone Mountian Heights is a different park than Stone Mountain Campground. Stone Mountian Heights RV Park has a google rating of 4.2-stars and includes things like spacious mixed RV and trailer park, had an excellent stay friendly and comfortable to work with staff, beautiful clean pool, clean showers.
Amenities At Stone Mountain Heights RV Park
- A quiet, clean park
- Large lots with patios
- Laundry Facilities
- Swimming Pool
- Local Phone and Cable capability
- Restaurants and shopping within walking distance
Rates At Stone Mountain Heights RV Park
The rates at this RV campground start at $49 and include a weekly and monthly price if you call ahead. Prices are not guaranteed and are based on four people or less per site.
Jones RV Park
Jones RV Park in Norcross, Ga has a 3.9 rating on google. Reviewers say that Jones is larger and quieter than many of the RV parks near Atlanta. Some mentioned that the restrooms get cleaning done daily, spots were level and the park was reasonably peaceful yet within Uver distance from Atlanta city center.
Amenities At Jones RV Park
- Water, electric and sewer at each site
Rates At Jones RV Park
Daily rates at this park start at $35.00 and include weekly and monthly options.
Mckinney Campground is another top-rated RV campground near Atlanta GA. It holds a 4.1 rating with 197 google reviews that you can find via this link. Reviews say the campground was excellent and mentioned level sites, good privacy, as well as peaceful private surroundings.
This campground is located in on Lake Allatoona and allows fishing, has a swimming area, and hosts lots of wildlife. The serenity of the lake and the location of the campsites 30 miles outside of Atlanta make it an excellent RV stop.
Amenities At Mckinney Campground
- Showers and bathrooms
- Water and electricity hookups
- Firepit/ BBQ
- Picnic table
Rates At Mckinney Campground
Rates to reserve a campsite at Mckinney Campground starting at $28 a night. The campsites have a few rules like the maximum of three pets pet campsite, there is also a camping limit of 14 days, and off-road (ATVs, and golf carts) vehicles are not allowed.
A Few Other Notes
If you are looking for a place for long term RV parking campground, a couple of these parks do offer monthly pricing, doing your research to find these sites and reserve ahead of time. In researching this article, I found a lot of RV campgrounds near Atlanta there were booked months in advance.
RV Campgrounds Reviews
These campgrounds all have high ratings on google. The way they have gotten there is because of people taking the time to write a useful review after their stay. If you stay at an RV campground near Atlanta be sure to give them love by rating the overall experience on google, yelp, and the RV website or FB page. It helps the campground to thrive.
Have A Great Trip
I hope that the trip you are planning is filled with rest, fun, and delight. If you have an experience at one of these campgrounds, leave us to comment and tell us how you rate your stay.