It's a scene that happens even to the best of us: imagine running to your Nissan Rogue to start your day, and when you unlock the car with your key fob, nothing happens. You try to press all the keys to no avail, and you realize that your Nissan key fob has run out of batteries. It leaves you with no option but to open the car and start the ignition with a manual key -but how? We've found the answer!
To start your Nissan Rogue with a manual key, follow these steps:
- Find the manual key by unlatching it from the back of your key fob in order to enter your vehicle.
- For Nissan cars with a key port, you can insert the key in the port as per usual. Tap the brake or clutch pedal while pressing the 'START/STOP' button.
- For Nissan cars without a key port, step on the brake or clutch pedal and press the key fob on the 'START/STOP' button.
There are different ways and methods to get your Nissan Rogue started. We've put down a complete list of how-tos for you on how to start your car with a manual key. Keep reading to learn more about them.
Nissan Intelligent Key
The Nissan Intelligent Key system is a technology that Nissan has been integrating well into their line-up of vehicles. This system allows Nissan car owners to lock and unlock the vehicle, as well as start the ignition without having to take out the key from their pocket. It's a technology that provides complete functionality and convenience to its users.
However, even the most intelligent systems may also lose power when the batteries run out. In the case of a Nissan key fob requiring a battery replacement, car owners may need to use a manual key to get into their vehicle and start the engine. This can be done by doing the following steps.
Accessing the Manual Key
The Nissan Rogue key fob is technologically advanced, but it still includes the option to manually open the vehicle when the battery dies. Depending on the car model, your key fob may be a jackknife key type or a hidden latch key.
To access the emergency key, you can do the following:
- For jackknife keys: flip the key out from the side of your key fob. The manual key should lock itself against the casing before putting it in your key cylinder.
- For the hidden latch key: turn over your key fob, and you will see a small latch button in the middle. Slide the latch carefully, and the manual key will unlatch from the bottom of your key fob. You may now use it to unlock the vehicle by putting it in your car door's key cylinder.
Starting the Ignition with a Dead Key Fob
Newer Nissan models that have the Intelligent Key system often do not have an access key port in the vehicle. This is because the system simply makes use of transmitted signals from the key fob to the car's circuitry and can be recognized even with a dead key fob.
Because of this, a lot of car owners are often left confused as to how they should start the car's ignition if the key fob isn't working. Here are the steps to follow for cars that do not have a key fob port:
- Step on the car's brakes while keeping the car in park.
- Tap the key fob on the 'START/STOP' button. Make sure that the key fob is in contact with the button.
- Wait for the ignition to start. You may now drive your vehicle.
For the older Nissan Rogue models, you may find that the ignition of your vehicle is a little different from the newer models. Do check if your car has a key fob port, usually located beneath the air vents. This usually allows for a manual key to be inserted and used to turn on the car's ignition.
If your car has a key fob port available, here are the steps on how you can get your car to start:
- Remove the manual key completely from the key fob (if possible) or make sure that the jackknife key is locked properly.
- Find the concealed key slot located in the center of your ignition switch.
- Insert the manual key inside the key slot and turn it to start.
- Your ignition should now be running, and you can now drive your vehicle.
Can I Charge my Nissan Key Fob?
Most car manufacturers nowadays have an integrated key system installed in their vehicles. In the case of the Nissan Rogue, the Nissan Intelligent Key system takes care of locking and unlocking vehicle doors, starting the ignition, and even a panic button for the car owner.
However, even with these functions, a Nissan key fob cannot be recharged. Instead, it makes use of a CR2032 battery or equivalent to provide power. It can last for about 2-3 years for a smart key fob like this, and it is good to know when to replace them to avoid having a dead key fob at an unfortunate time.
See CR2032 batteries on Amazon.
Sometimes, you may also find your Nissan Rogue alerting you that no key can be detected. This may mean that your key fob battery is already weak or is already out of power. It can be a good time to check on your key fob battery and have it replaced as soon as possible.
If you'd like to learn more about replacing a battery for your Nissan key fob, we have the article "What Size Battery Does A Nissan Key Fob Take? [And How To Change It]."
Can I Start a Nissan Rogue with Remote Start?
One of the newer features that the Nissan Rogue has included is the ability to remote start the vehicle. A remote start means that you can start your car from a distance by using your key fob's functions. For the 2021 Nissan Rogue line-up, only the base level S leaves out this function, but the rest of the models do have it integrated into the vehicle.
Remote starts are quite ingenious and particularly very convenient, especially for car owners who live in colder areas. It's great for starting your car and having it warm up even before you get out of the house. You don't have to sit inside the vehicle, waiting for your heater to kick in.
On hotter days, you can have your air conditioning up and running even before you break a sweat. Having a remote start for your vehicle also makes it easier for your car to do its work as it can help warm your engine oil. This makes it easier for the oil to flow freely in your engine.
A remote start can also help protect your vehicle from theft by letting them know the owner is nearby.
For Nissan Rogue owners, here are the steps on how to engage the remote start in your vehicles:
- Make sure that all the doors of the vehicle are closed and locked.
- Press the 'LOCK' button on your key fob.
- Within the next 5 seconds, hold down the engine start button for at least 2 seconds.
- Wait for the vehicle to start. The automatic climate control system of your Nissan Rogue will also be activated during this time, and your car will run for about 10 minutes.
- If you need to extend your startup time, just repeat the process to add another 10 minutes of idle time to your vehicle. However, do remember that idling your car for long periods can be detrimental to the environment and it is not highly suggested.
There might be occasions in which you will find yourselves the need to use a manual key for your Nissan Rogue. You can do this by finding the manual key through a hidden key latch on your key fob and using it to enter your vehicle.
However, starting the ignition will be a lot different as you only need your key fob to activate the car's Intelligent Key system. You may not need to use a manual key for the car to run. Just tap your key fob on the 'START/STOP' button, and your vehicle should be up and running in no time.
If you would like to learn more about Nissan vehicles, we have several articles that may help you.
Why Does My Nissan Say Key ID Is Incorrect?
What Type Of Gas For A Nissan Altima: Regular Or Premium?