You may be driving somewhere in your Ford F150. But what if you notice that the side mirror is loose? How can you fix it? Keep calm! We've researched the answers for you.
The side mirror may get loose due to a hard bump when driving or when it hits an object, like a post. You can fix the loose side mirror in the Ford F150 with these options:
- Align the side mirror.
- Tighten the screws.
- Replace the side mirror.
Today, you'll learn step-by-step how to fix a loose side mirror in a Ford F150. You'll realize some reasons why this happens and how to prevent it. We'll also discuss more informative topics about Ford side mirrors. Let's not waste time! Come and join us in reading!
How to Fix a Loose Side Mirror in a Ford F150
Every car has side mirrors on both sides. Side mirrors view the things behind you without turning your head in the opposite direction. This way, you'll know if some vehicle is too close behind you while you're driving.
It's crucial to fix the side mirror when it gets loose. This is for your own safety and that of the drivers around you. We have listed down some ways you can fix a loose side mirror depending on the severity of the damage it has. See these options below.
1. Adjust the Side Mirrors
The side mirror might get dislocated due to impact. You can try aligning the side mirror by pushing it towards the base. Just be gentle so as not to break it.
2. Secure the Screws
If the screws are loose, you should use a screwdriver to tighten them. You may replace the screws if they seem old and rustic. It's also essential to keep the side mirror clean to prevent dust from accumulating. This way, the side mirror may not get loose.
3. Change the Side Mirror
Check the side mirror to see if it needs to be replaced. Loose side mirrors will cause danger, and you can't even drive in most countries if you have a broken side mirror. That's why it's best to replace faulty side mirrors if tightening them doesn't help.
To replace a side mirror in a Ford F150, simply follow these steps:
- Open the door, then switch off the dome lights.
- Use a screwdriver covered with tissue to make a gap in the side mirror.
- Gently pull the panel up to remove it. You should see the clips upon removing the panel.
- Press and pull the tab to release the clips.
- Use a 10-millimeter socket and a ratchet to loosen up the bolts.
- Hold the side mirror, then thump it down to detach it from the base.
- To install the new side mirror, push it into the base until you see the studs pierce through the other side. It's good if someone can help you hold the side mirror to prevent it from falling.
- Twist the bolts back into place. Make sure they're tight.
- Attach the clips to the tab.
- Put back the side mirror panel.
To help you visualize the steps, you can watch the video here:
How Much Does Ford Side Mirror Replacement Cost?
If you're uncertain about replacing the side mirror, you can always rely on experts. On average, the cost to replace a Ford side mirror ranges between $140 and $330. This price range includes the parts, labor and skills for replacement.
This will depend on your agreement with Ford about service. It might be covered by the warranty, so better check your user's guide to see if the replacement service is free of charge by their authorized personnel.
Also, the cost of replacement will vary on your location and the current market status of Ford spare parts and services. The extremity of damage may still play a part in costing the product and services. That's why it's important to talk to Ford for more accurate pricing.
Can You Fold a Ford F150 Side Mirror?
Folding the side mirror is practical when you're in park mode. This will protect the mirror from getting hit by any objects. You can follow these steps to fold a Ford F150 side mirror:
On the control panel, press the settings. Go to "vehicle" and "mirror" to turn on the auto fold. To test the function, get out of the car. Press the button on the door handle, and the side mirror will fold slowly.
You can see the demo video here:
How to Replace the Axial Light in the Ford F150 Side Mirror
Axial light in a side mirror is significant. It allows you to brighten up the view from the mirror so you can see better in the dark. You need to replace the axial light if it seems ineffective, broken, or faded.
It's best if you ask the manufacturer if they have axial light available for purchase. This is to keep light compatibility with the car's energy source.
Now, to replace the axial light, follow these steps:
- Remove the mirror by hand or using a screwdriver, starting from the top edge.
- Remove the screws on the four corners, then detach the back panel.
- Pull the harness and push the pin in front. You should be able to remove the axial light with your fingers.
- Install the new axial light by plugging it into the harness.
- Attach the back panel and the mirror again.
You can watch a video here about replacing the Ford F150 axial light:
What to Do With a Blurry Side Mirror?
A blurry side mirror causes inconvenience while driving. This is common when it's raining due to increasing moisture levels in the air.
There is a product called a rainproof film that you can attach to almost every side mirror. This film can repel water and prevent the side mirror from getting moist.
Now, to install a rainproof film, follow these steps:
- Clean the mirror with a soft towel.
- Remove the first side with the number 1 on it.
- Paste the film on the side mirror. Wipe thoroughly with a soft towel.
- Now, remove the second side with the number 2 on it.
- Wipe again with the towel.
See the visual of the steps here:
What is a Blind Spot Mirror?
A blind spot mirror is a smaller mirror attached to the corner of a side mirror. This helps in seeing things that are hidden from your view. Since the blind spot mirror is in the corner, this can provide a view farther than the back of your car.
The Ford F150 has a blind spot mirror. It's square and is usually in the upper left corner of the side mirror.
What is a Heated Mirror?
A heated mirror is a feature of a side mirror that helps dissolve moisture during rainy weather. Also, a heated mirror can melt a small amount of ice during winter. You can activate the heated mirror in your Ford F150 by pressing the rear defrost button. Your car will then send heat to the mirror, increasing the visibility.
How to Adjust the Angle of Side Mirror
It's essential to have a good angle on the side mirror for the accuracy of reflection. Doing so requires your car to be motionless, as you cannot adjust your side mirror while driving. Consider the steps below to adjust the side mirror in the Ford F150.
- Stop your car in a safe spot where you can make the adjustment.
- Use the arrow buttons on the driver's armrest to adjust the side mirror's angle.
- Move the switch to the left. Lean on the driver's seat to see clearly, depending on how you want to see the back portion of your car.
- Move the switch to the right. Without leaving the driver's seat, adjust the passenger-side mirror. You should see the view on the other side.
- Put back the switch in the center.
This article taught us how to adjust a loose side mirror in a Ford F150. We learned about three options like aligning, tightening, and replacing the side mirror.
We provided steps on how to fold the side mirror as well as replace its axial light. It's important that to see the reflection even at night.
You've learned terms like "rainproof film," "blind spot," and "heated mirror." Of course, we learned how to adjust the side mirror at an accurate angle.
Do you want to learn more? We know you'll love to read more here: